I Still Believe.

I never post stuff on social media about politics. I believe in keeping my political views and beliefs private. But on Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, a political figure in my country was sentenced to prison, and my nation is now split in two: those rejoicing for the verdict upon their enemy and those grieving for the imprisonment of their hero. And although I’m not here to take sides, this time I can’t help it. I need to speak up. 

I’m writing this because I believe there is an awakening happening in my country. I believe that beyond the celebrations and tears that took place after the verdict: hope is rising. In some ways quietly, in some ways very loud. Can’t you see? I have never seen so many hearts broken for injustice in my country. And these hearts are screaming their lungs out! Making sure their voices are heard. These hearts are not just speaking life, but they are shouting life over our country. Can you hear the desperation? The begging-on-their-knees kind of prayer for a breakthrough? 

I have never heard an outcry for justice so loud in this nation. And you’re telling me we have lost hope? I believe that if there’s ever a time that we must believe revival is so close, almost at hand, for our nation, that time is now. 

The circumstances might be the complete opposite of what we hope our country to become. I know we are brokenhearted, discouraged, and disappointed. But light shines the brightest in the darkest nights. So if our nation has to be split in two, why don’t we take a step back and instead stand in the middle to be a bridge of hope for our nation? 

I agree, our country is filled with flaws. Perhaps too many to count and mention. I'm not gonna lie; learning to love this country has been one of the hardest lessons I have had to learn in my life. We know that even though there are so many reasons why we should be proud of my country, there are all the more reasons to be ashamed and bitter towards it. But if all we do is curse our nation for what it has not become, will we ever be a nation we long to become? If we stay grieving and walk away, will we ever see the change we long to witness? 

No, I don’t think so. 

I think what this nation needs is our voice. A voice that speaks faith, speaks service, speaks generosity, speaks love. A selfless generation that understands it has to begin with someone at some point. As much as it hurts to see devotion paid with hate, I believe revival has to start with a seed of sacrifice. So perhaps it has to begin with us.

Seeing so many voices cry out and hearts broken over the past week have shown me how far we have come. With all our shortcomings, we have come so far. We have become bold and strong. We finally have the courage to speak up. Finally fighting for the things that matter. Finally realizing things have to change for this nation to move forward. We have come to the point where we understand hope matters. Service matters. Determination matters. Excellence matters. Love matters. Our nation matters. 

So, I choose to stand on the side of hope. I choose to take the side of revival. There is hope for this nation. There is a breakthrough waiting to make its triumphant entrance. God is rising up a new voice, a new generation. I believe God is doing something new. I believe He is making new rivers in the desert, new roads in the wilderness. I think revival is ready to shake the grounds of our nation. This is just the beginning. 

I still believe revival is ahead. 

Isaiah 43 

18 “But forget all that—
    it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
19 For I am about to do something new.
    See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.

Comments

Popular Posts