The Artist within Us: Part 2

The word “excellence” is not a cool word. I think the word is overused and I can’t seem to find weight to it when people of influence and leaders make an appeal for excellence. But as I grow in my relationship with God, my perspective was gradually changed. Excellence became a virtue that I think needs to be fundamental in our approach to life.

In my previous post (read part 1 here), I talked about art and how the creative nature of God calls us to be artists in ever sphere of life. Practically speaking, this is what we know as stewardship. Being an artist is simply being a steward — a good steward. It means being responsible with our gifts, talents, relationships, and whatever else God has entrusted to us.

But I’m not just talking about stewardship for the sake of stewardship. I’m talking about stewardship that is active and relentless in its pursuit of excellence. I’m talking about the kind of mentality where we won’t settle unless we have given our best. And this “best” isn’t measured in comparison to other people, but this “best” is measured in comparison to ourselves — to what we know of us. Giving our best means we have attempted to become the best version of ourselves to produce the best results that we could possibly achieve. It doesn’t mean we do it perfectly and we produce perfect results, but it means we have put out our best effort.

So why excellence? Why should we work our butts off to achieve and excel? See, excellence is powerful.
Excellence gives us a voice. 
It gives us a level of credibility and trust where from that point on we are able to influence others. To influence others with what we say, through what we do. Excellence is this natural bridge from people not being interested at all in what we do to asking the question “why”, “why not”, and “what for”. 

I believe we do what we do because of one single reason:
to point people to Jesus. 
Yes, I am unashamed to say that everything I do, and every work of art I produce, I make them for the sake of pointing you to Jesus. Because everything I do should be a response of what He has done for me. Because I know He loves me to the point of giving His life for me, now I am compelled to tell you about this Jesus-guy and how an encounter with Jesus will change your lives too. 

But you won’t wonder if I blend in 
and don’t stand out. 
This is why I'm making an appeal for excellence; because people won’t wonder if we blend in and don't stand out. A candle in the dark makes heads turn because it stands out, it doesn’t blend in with its surroundings. Could it be that what we are called to do is to work out butts off and produce in our fields a work of excellence, so extraordinary above common standards, that people will turn their heads and begin to wonder why and how and what for? Could it be that when Jesus talked about how we are the light of the world — a city on a hill that cannot be hidden — that Jesus was appealing to us to be set apart? In everything. In our workplaces, in our schools, in our homes. In the way we carry out our mundane and everyday lives. Not by shoving our skills and blessings to everyone’s faces, but by quiet persistence and diligence. By loving so radically, serving so unconditionally, practicing our craft so faithfully. By bringing the most joy in the room and keeping our integrity as we do about our businesses.

Because it is when we are set apart that people will begin to wonder. And when they wonder, they began to ask. And once they ask, they began to see the different ways we see the world, life, love. And once they see that, we can perhaps tell them the one reason why we’re still here, doing what we do:
Jesus.
And even if our best artistic efforts will always remain imperfect and insufficient, He is the One who always stands in the gap. He is the One who allows our flawed sacrifices to become masterpieces that show His glory. And, someway, somehow, He makes it possible for people to encounter Him through our works of art.

- Lev. 

Comments

Popular Posts