Irrational Exuberance.

First things first, do you know what the phrase "irrational exuberance" means? In case you don't, here's what the dictionary has to say:

Irrational: illogical; absurd
Exuberance: the state of being exuberant
Exuberant: effusively and almost uninhibitedly enthusiastic (in other words: very, very, very enthusiastic)

Put them together and you get "irrational exuberance", this state of feeling the illogical tremendous amount of enthusiasm, or we can also say the state of feeling super enthusiastic that it's beyond absurd.

So yesterday, August 6th, 2012, was a historical day of my life. Yesterday I finished my first ever first draft. Yes, finally, after struggling on and off for what felt like a very long time, I finally finished it and the second I realized I was finished I felt a rush of what I like to call as an irrational exuberance. It felt awesome beyond what words could express.

I'm telling you, if you're wondering how it feels to fly, I suggest you go back to your computer, write like a monster and finish off whatever it is you're working on, that's so grand and hell important for you and you will find yourself flying to the highest skies when you type that "The End". (You'll probably fly even higher if you decide to print it out. Once you do and you start flipping through the pages you will be so awestruck at how many words you could extract from your brain and believe me, it's A LOT of words.)

Come to think of it, it's crazy. We should be writing for the "greater good". You know, all those talks on writing to share messages to the world, be the voice that speaks out opinions which are usually being covered up in public, and so on, and on. I'm not saying these are stupid reasons because on the contrary, I think those are noble reasons and we should be writing for those reasons but, man! We can't deny that to some extend we write for the thrill, for that sheer satisfaction we get after we finish crafting words to sentences, sentences to paragraphs and paragraphs to masterpieces that finally speak. It's crazy sometimes when we think about it, that we writers are willing to struggle for years just to get that one piece right, just to experience that one rush of irrational exuberance.

I raise my glass, for everyone who finished their first drafts. Cheers!
photo credit: runninginpinkproject.wordpress.com
PS: I researched the phrase "irrational exuberance" on the Internet and it was a real phrase. Look it up yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts