The Element of Procrastination.

Ha Ha. Everybody does this, right?

photo credit: sharonwritesromance.files.wordpress.com

pro·cras·ti·na·tion  [proh-kras-tuh-ney-shuhn, pruh‐]
noun
the act or habit of procrastinating,  or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention: She was smart, but her constant procrastination led her to be late with almost every assignment.
 Modern Language Association (MLA):
"procrastination." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 07 Jul. 2012. 
<Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/procrastination>.


I found that in the process of writing a book, or a story, or writing anything at all, you will always come to a point where you want to delay getting the job done because of a million reasons: your favorite TV show is on, your dog wants to play, your mom just finished making her famous lasagna and etc. You will feel the urge to do things you never felt like doing, things other than writing. This is the beginning of our procrastination.

Here are 5 of probably the most common things that drive us to procrastinate (and also the things you should avoid during your attempt to write):

1. Internet 
Ooh, I've got new tweets coming in! I should read them first. Clicks on Facebook. OMG, he's with her now? This is crazy, I have to tell Annie right away. Look at that shirt, so cute! I want one. This can't be delayed, I have to get one now! Clicks on Etsy.

2. Cell Phones 
Text Annie. Annie texted back. Text Annie back. Annie texted back again. Oh shoot! Grey's Anatomy is on!

3. TV
Patrick Dempsey is so cute. Thank goodness I didn't miss this episode.

4. Food
I'll go grab something to eat first. Can't think when I'm hungry! Eats a bar of chocolate. I'm sleepy now.

5. Yourself
Never mind, it's getting late. I'll just write tomorrow.

Like I said, everybody does this.
(But let's make it a habit not to do this.)

Comments

Popular Posts