Writers' Block.

I don’t get how people say “write through the process” or “you know, if you’re experiencing writers’ block then just write about it”. Because well, first: It’s a block. Dead end. When you don’t know what to write, you can’t write. That’s why you call it a writers’ block. But if you still can write something, you’re not at a block. You’re simply writing something. 

Anyway. 

In case you’re confused, a writers’ block is a situation when writers just don’t know what to write anymore. It happens quite often actually. For some of us it happens everyday, or maybe everytime before we’re about to write something. I’ve been having this writers’ block for a while, and it has really disrupt my writing schedules. But what I’ve come to learn is that a writers’ block is simply a state of mind. 

Okay, maybe it’s a little bit more than that. It’s the way we allow our emotions and thoughts to collide and combine into one huge cloud of overwhelming feelings. And it paralyzes because we can’t think straight. Not thinking straight means not being able to organize our thoughts into neat bubbles and lists, and that’s why we can’t write. 

What’s funny about this is I found how the concept of writers’ block is so similar to our relationship with God. Because I find myself on a dead end in my growth spiritually when I allow my feelings and emotions to be my focus, and therefore I can’t see things from God’s perspective. This paralyzes too, because I become dry and confused and lost in vision. But when I get back to training my state of heart to keep looking at what God’s doing, where He’s going, I function very well. And even more, I can write very well too. 

This is why I still believe that inspiration is a divine thing. Because it takes a lot of effort to see things from a different perspective. To find something so insignificant, like an eraser or a shadow of a door, to reflect something deep and meaningful about life. And as artists (especially), it’s such a waste to allow what we think and what we feel to get in the way of this divine process, when we can in fact be at peace and take charge of our hearts (or, for some of us, let the Holy Spirit take charge). 

When we know how to rest our hearts, our minds can think. 
When we can think, we can create. 
When we create, we can inspire. 
When we inspire, we can make a difference. 

Comments

Popular Posts